Pages

11/12/11

Dehydrating Carrots for a Prepared Pantry

I thought it would be a good idea to have some pantry staples that aren't readily available in the store. I thought carrots would be a good food to start with. Dehydrating them takes up a much smaller footprint than buying the same amount in cans. I'm also able to use organic, and there aren't any other ingredients -just carrots. It was a simple process! I thought it might be helpful to take you through it, but please forgive the amateur photos. Hey, this is my life & my family camera, I'm just keeping it real!

I bought a giant bag of organic carrots at Costco & then peeled them, cut off the ends, and chopped them into half-moons. I took care to make sure the pieces were cut to about the same size.


In the spirit of full disclosure, this is a side effect:


I boiled a large pot of water & parboiled them in two batches, for just 3 minutes.


I used a large strainer to get them out, drain them over the pot, and then spread them out on the mesh screens of the dehydrator.

I prepared about 4 pounds of carrots & they took up 4 trays, with plenty of room on the tray. I dehydrated them for about 24 hours at 125 degrees.



I knew they would get smaller, but wow! These are SO tiny in comparison!


4 pounds of carrots, all peeled, chopped & ready for soups, stews, or pot roast! And they fit in a quart mason jar!


Next up are potatoes, celery, and possibly tomatoes. Hmm, mushrooms might be a good one! Have you dehydrated foods for your pantry? I'd love to hear your suggestions!

This post has been linked to The Homestead Barn Hop.

5 comments:

  1. I have dehydrated all of the above and all work out quite well. Potatoes do darken in color, celery is unusual, stringy, but hydrates well. I grow Roma type tomatoes to dehydrate and add them to sauces, with hydrated peppers, onions and mushrooms for pizza and omelettes. Good luck and have fun ~ it all saves money and you know where it comes from :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't think of peppers & onions! Good to know, thank you! :) And you're right, it is fun - bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is a link to mine- I also dehydrated radishes and jalapenos plus cucumbers and seasoned zucchini. http://movingontothepast.blogspot.com/2011/10/all-dried-up-and-ready-to-go.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy, thank you for the link, those sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Inviting you the Carnival of Home Preserving on my blog every Friday. Hope to see you there. Laura Williams’ Musings

    The most recent edition - http://laurawilliamsmusings.blogspot.com/2012/06/carnival-of-home-preserving-13-come.html - open until Thursday 6/7.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...